The other day while browsing the ever so glorious Pinterest, I noticed a recipe that sounded like something from a fantasy land: Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup. Oh, be still my Italian food loving heart! I had to make this and I had to make this NOW. The one problem though was that I did not have the time for a homemade sauce. I needed something I could dump quickly and go. What was I to do? Well, I grabbed two jars of our lifesaving Bertolli Organic Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic sauce and set out to recreate a simpler version of this soup. Below, you can find my easy to make masterpiece as well as the link to the original recipe. Enjoy!
*All posts on our site may contain affiliate links which help support our family.*
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 1/2 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 14.5 ounces no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2-1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (to your preference…we love cheese)
- 2 jars of spaghetti sauce (Bertolli is our favorite emergency sauce)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces cooked penne pasta
- chopped parsley as garnish (optional)
- In the slow cooker, combine bell pepper, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of cheese, sauce, chicken breasts, and chicken broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. (Cooking times may vary depending on your slow cooker. I do about 7 hours on low and use this slow cooker.)
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. I prefer using a big bowl and a blender for quick and effortless shredding. Add a little of the liquid to help but be wary of splatter.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stir in the pasta, and add the rest of the cheese if you chose to use more.
- Cook on high for an additional 10-20 minutes before serving garnished with extra cheese and/or parsley.
Looking for the original recipe? You can find it on this post from Nature Box.